Bele Obbattu, is a sweet prepared during most festivals.
It is considered difficult to prepare this sweet especially because of the perfection required. Any flaw could ruin the taste.
How to prepare the stuffing – hurna?
- Chana dal(Kadlibele) – 1 cup
- Jaggery – 1 cup
- Cardamom – ½ tsp
- Pressure cook (3 whistles) the dal.
- Once it cools down, check to see if the dal is cooked well. Hold a grain of the dal and press by placing in between two fingers. It should be perfectly soft neither too much nor little less .If the dal is slightly hard, cook again in a vessel until its soft.
- Drain all the water and keep the water aside. This water can be used for preparing the rasam – obbattu saaru/kattin saaru.
- Add jaggery to the dal and cook for 5 mins or cook until all of jaggery melts and mixes well with the dal.
- Add cardamom powder and mix.
- Once the mixture cools down, grind to form a fine paste.
At this stage the ground paste is called hurana / puran.
This shall be used as stuffing for preparing Holige/obbattu/puran poli
Tips: The hurna should have the right texture to prepare good quality obbattu.
If the hurna is thick, add a little water and mix.
If the hurna is thin, then heat a vessel and fry the hurna until it has the right texture for obbattu
How to prepare the dough?
- All purpose flour – 1 cup
- Wheat flour - ½ cup
- Turmeric – ½ tsp
- Oil – 2 tsp
Mix all the ingredients to form a thick dough. Keep aside for 15 mins.
Knead well for 2 mins.
How to make the obbattu?
Unlike the rotis and chapatis where flour is used to make sure the dough does not stick to the rolling stick, here we will use oil.
My mom used a special thick sheet for making holige which she had specially purchased to for making holige. She used to place the dough over the sheet and roll with the wooden stick.
I use the aluminum foil to make the bobbattu
1. Take a portion of the dough.
2. Place the dough on the aluminum foil and using the wooden stick, flaten the dough into a small 3 inch circular flat roll. Apply a little oil to the wooden stick
3. Take a portion of the hurna, size of a golf ball.
4. Place it in the centre of the small chapati.
5. Slowly lift the dough into your hands and surround the hurna with the chapati. As shown in the picture.
6. The hurna should get engulfed by the dough.
7. Seal the dough properly by pressing. Now take a small bowl with 1 tbsp oil and place the dough (stuffed) in the oil and pour 2 tsp oil over the dough. Like this prepare 4-5 (or as many) hurna stuffed dough balls and place in oil.
8. Now take the hurna stuffed dough balls and place on the aluminum foil and roll the wooden stick over it.Keep rolling until its almost 6 to 8 inches in diameter.
9. Heat a pan. Lift the aluminum foil with the holige over it and slowly drop it on the pan as shown below.
10. Once you see tiny bubble, turn the holige and apply oil.